Ingredients: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups peeled chopped beets
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Place beets and onion into a saucepan over medium-heat. Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let beets simmer until tender 12-15 minutes.
- Drain water and place beets and onion into food processor. Add butter and pulse until the veggies are finely chopped.
- Whisk together eggs and water. Slowly add in the flour. Place dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Take half the dough and roll out until thickness is 1/8 an inch or less. Cut out circles using a cup.
- Take circle cut-out and place about 1 tablespoon of beet filling in the center. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top and fold the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges of dough together to seal completely. Make crimped indentations around the sealed edges and dust the pierogi with flour.
- Repeat this step until flour or filling runs out.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Drop pierogis in water (2 at a time) and stir to prevent them from sticking. Reduce heat to gentle boil and cook until they float to the top—8 minutes. Drain and serve!