Oh Valentine’s Day: the time of year when love is in the air.
Does your heart melt whenever you look into the eyes of your lovable dog? Do you love to play with your dog at the park or cuddle with your dog on the couch? If so, you’ll join millions of pet owners who will include canine companions in their Valentine’s Day celebrations.
What are you going to give your furry, four-legged Valentine? Of course lots of love and maybe a new toy or two. There’s no harm in giving a few extra tasty treats on this special holiday, but remember that there are some treats that a dog should never have – chocolate. The most romantic day of the year can turn into a nightmare for pets.
Valentine’s Day is the single biggest day on which dogs are taken to emergency rooms because of ingested chocolate. Chocolate is toxic for pets and can make your dog extremely sick. The chemical in chocolate that’s so poisonous for dogs is theobromine, an alkaloid that has similar effects to caffeine and can make dogs quite ill.
As candy lovers know, there are different kinds of chocolate such as white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic or poisonous it is for dogs.
If you come home to find your candy box empty, take a quick glance at your dog and your house. Is your pet panting or trembling? Do you see evidence of vomiting or diarrhea? How much chocolate do you think your pet ate? Then call your veterinarian or emergency center for further instructions.
Good news – your veterinarian can prevent or treat chocolate poisoning. Treatment may include medication that induces vomiting to rid the body of undigested chocolate or administration of oral compounds to block absorption of theobromine.
Bad news – you may not have any chocolate left…or is that good news too?
Enjoy the 14th with your Valentine. Your dogs will love you fur-ever!