Each year on the second Sunday in September, people join together in observing National Pet Memorial Day. On this day, pet owners honor their pets, both past and present and think about and share with others the important role that their beloved pets have played, and do play, in their lives.
The death of a pet or an animal to which one has become emotionally bonded can be an intense loss, comparable with the death of a human loved one. This day gives us an opportunity to bring closure to the departure of our beloved pets.
Ways to commemorate National Pet Memorial Day:
- Spend a few minutes reflecting upon pleasant memories of your pet
- If you buried your pet somewhere, go for a visit
- Contribute to an animal protection group
- Volunteer at an animal protection group
- Create a small memorial in a flower garden in your yard
- Plant a tree or a shrub as a living memorial