Eggplant and Mozzarella Melt
If you’re looking for a lower carbohydrate Meatless Monday, this Eggplant and Mozzarella Melt is the perfect recipe! Not only is the eggplant an alternative to bread but it also contains a handful of nutritional benefits. The rich purple color of the eggplant is caused by a red-blue flavonoid plant pigment which has been shown to drop blood pressure. Eggplant also helps with anemia with it’s dense source of iron and copper.
What you’ll need:
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups store bought tomato sauce
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- olive oil for baking sheet
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) soft Italian bread
- 8 ounces’ part skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread breadcrumbs in a pie plate or shallow bowl.
- Oil a rimmed baking sheet. Dip eggplant rounds in egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs, turning to coat completely; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake (without turning) until golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, split bread lengthwise, and place cut side up on another baking sheet; press gently in centers to create a well. Layer both halves with tomato sauce, eggplant, and cheese. Bake until cheese is browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes.