Meatless Monday Burger Season
It is Meatless Monday and it is Burger Season! Try out this homemade quinoa burger for a quick and easy way to ditch the meat this Monday.
For the quinoa burgers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup minced carrot (2 to 3 carrots)
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sliced avocado
- Salad greens or lettuce leaves
What you’ll need:
- Cook the quinoa, according to package.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add carrot and chop enough for 3/4 cup. Remove and add onion and chop enough for 1/3 cup. Remove and add 3 peeled garlic cloves; process until minced.
- When the quinoa is done, in a large bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients except the oil. With wet hands, form the quinoa mixture into 8 patties about 1 inch thick and place on a clean plate or cutting board.
- In a large sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the burgers to the pan, cover, and cook until the bottoms are browned, 6 to 8 minutes. (Covering the pan ensures the burgers cook all the way through the middle without overcooking the outside.) Flip the burgers and repeat, adding another tablespoon of oil if necessary (The pan should not be dry). Sauté in a few batches if necessary, and let cool for a few minutes to firm up.
- Serve warm topped with hummus and avocado and wrapped in big lettuce leaves, or over salad greens.