Meatless Monday Tuscan Lentil Artichoke Soup
What you’ll need:
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 15-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts
- ½ bunch Tuscan kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 28-ounce cans fire roasted whole tomatoes
- Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional), for garnish
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Drain the artichoke hearts, and chop them into bite sized pieces. Wash and thinly slice the kale into ribbons.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the minced garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil. Saute for another minute.
- Add the red lentils, water, red pepper flakes,kosher salt, and 1 bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add the kale, artichokes, and the liquid from the whole tomatoes. Then chop the whole tomatoes into bite sized pieces, and add them to the pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Be careful not to overcook the lentils, or they will become too soft.
- Taste, and additional kosher salt as necessary. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and shaved Parmesan cheese.