Meatless Monday Loaded Potato
This vegetarian baked sweet potato is perfect for a chilly fall day. Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious, loaded with fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. The sweet flavor pairs perfectly with Mexican hints in this dish. Here is the recipe, let us know if you try this for your next Meatless Monday!
4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, or light sour cream
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
a pinch of salt
1-1/3 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup mild or spicy salsa
1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro
- Poke holes in the potato with a fork, cook on your microwave’s potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes). If you don’t have a microwave, bake about 45 minutes at 400°F
- Combine yogurt and taco seasoning in a small bowl, mix well.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add peppers, onions, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt; cook until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes).
- Slice the potato lengthwise down the middle or as I did in the photo, use a fork to pierce the top in an oval shape, then remove the top of each potato.
- Top with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, 1/3 cup of black bean mixture, 2 tbsp Greek yogurt mixture and 2 tbsp salsa of salsa.