Meatless Monday Quick Chickpea Curry
This Meatless Monday Quick Chickpea Curry takes no more than 30 minutes and is a protein powerhouse! While eating a plant-based diet finding a good source of protein can be a challenge. Chickpeas are a great source of carbs, protein, fiber and healthy fats mixed with the vitamins and minerals of curry, you can’t go wrong with starting your week with this recipe!
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cans, no salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- pinch of ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- chopped cilantro and lemon wedges (optional)
- In a large straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown around edges, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, curry, cinnamon, and cloves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Uncover, and increase heat to medium-high; cook until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 minutes. Serve topped with cilantro, with lemon wedges alongside if desired.