Meatless Monday Quinoa Dish
This meal is delicious and a crowd favorite. Whether you are vegetarian, or just eating meatless on Monday’s because someone else is cooking, you will love this! Quinoa is great to incorporate into your diet, because it has more fiber in it than most over grains! Try it out!
What you’ll need:
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 clove crushed garlic
1 1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth*
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 tbsp chipotle en adobo sauce, or more if you want it spicy
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
3/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup fresh or frozen thawed corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus 2 tbsp for garnish
1 1/2 cups part-skim shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided*
1 medium, 4 oz haas avocado, diced
2 tbsp chopped scallions
* For gluten-free be sure to check the labels.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Lightly spray a 9 x 12 baking dish with oil
- In a medium saucepan cook the quinoa with 1 3/4 cups broth according to package instructions; when cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan heat the oil over medium low heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden, about 1 – 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, cumin, 1/4 cup broth and chipotle en adobo. If it’s too thick, add 2 tbsp water to thin out. Bring to a boil and simmer 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, green chiles, corn, black beans and 1/4 cup cilantro. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and mix will. Place into the baking dish and spread out. Top with the enchilada sauce and remaining cheese
- Cover with foil and bake until hot the cheese is melted, about 20 to 25 minutes
- To serve, top with avocado, scallions and remaining fresh cilantro. Cut into 6 pieces and serve right away.