Meatless Monday Vegan Mushroom Lentil Salad
Spicing up your Meatless Mondays with a little bit of chili flakes not only excites your tastebuds but it can wake up your metabolism! Chili flakes can actually increase your body heat causing your metabolism to increase and ultimately burn slightly more calories. Try this Vegan Mushroom Lentil Salad and make sure to add some heat to reap the benefits!
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup French Green Lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 4 cups mix of button and Swiss brown mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 shallot or small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup rocket (arugula)
- Begin by cooking the lentils. Place the lentils and vegetable stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place a large frying pan over a high heat. When the pan has come to heat (don’t add oil) add 1/3 of the mushrooms. Leave for 2 minutes before then give the pan a shake to flip them over. The mushrooms should be lightly golden. Cook for a further minute before removing from the pan and repeating with the remaining mushrooms.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add 2 tsp of olive oil or vegan butter and add the shallot or onion. Cook until slightly golden on the edges and return the mushrooms to the pan and add the garlic and chili flakes and cook for 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant, but not browned as it will taste bitter. Set aside to cool.
- Toss the lentils, mushroom and garlic together along with the lemon juice and the extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste and add the parsley and rocket just as you’re serving. https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/mushroom-lemon-lentil-salad/