Meatless Monday Vegan Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
Monday night = Sloppy Joe night. Try this Meatless Slow Cooked Sloppy Joe for your Meatless Monday and the family will not be disappointed! With lentils being the staple of this meal, you are packing your dinner with over 32% of the daily recommended fiber which will leave you feeling full and also help to lower your risk for heart disease. Lentils are a nutritious alternative for ground beef in any of your favorite dishes.
What you’ll need:
2 cups water
1 cup green lentils
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium green or red bell pepper, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 can tomato sauce
1-2 tablespoon coconut sugar
1-2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pinch smoked or regular paprika
1 package whole wheat hamburger buns
- In a small saucepan, add water and rinsed lentils and heat over medium-high heat
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 18 minutes, or until tender. The water should have a constant simmer (not boil). Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the pepper and onions are tender and slightly browned.
- Next add tomato sauce, coconut sugar, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add them to the skillet as well and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more chili powder and/or cumin, salt coconut sugar.
- Serve the mixture on toasted buns with sliced onions.