Meatless Monday Vegetarian Reuben Sandwich
Add this Vegetarian Reuben Sandwich to your Meatless Monday recipe book!
What you’ll need:
- 4slices rye or pumpernickel bread
- 4slices Swiss cheese (lacey, baby, or regular)
- 10to 15 button mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1/4head red cabbage (sliced)
- 2cloves garlic (minced)
- 3tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4cup apple cider vinegar
- 1pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1serving unsalted butter, for spreading
- 1splash Olive oil
- The first step in assembing this grilled cheese is to prepare all your ingredients. Heat two saute pans over medium heat. Add some olive oil to each pan. In one pan, add the mushrooms, garlic, and black pepper. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- In the second pan, add the red cabbage, salt, and pepper and let cook in oil for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and horseradish and let cook for 5 more minutes.
- While both the mushrooms and cabbage are cooking, mix up the dressing. Combine mayonnaise, Dijon, and relish in a small bowl.
- Butter one side of 2 pieces of bread generously. On the other side of the buttered pieces of bread, spread the dressing. Add mushrooms to each sandwich. Add a slice of cheese on top of the mushrooms. Cover the cheese in cabbage. Add one more slice of cheese on top of the cabbage.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place the slices of bread, buttered side down, on the skillet. Add the second slice of bread to the top of the sandwich and place a couple cubes of butter on top of each slice. Put the pan you used to cook the mushrooms or cabbage on top of the sandwiches (unless you have a foil-covered brick or some other cool device).
- Flip after a few minutes and cook the other side without the pan. The bread should be nice and crusty, and cheese should be melting out the sides.