Meatless Monday Zucchini “Meat”balls
Happy Meatless Monday! This week’s recipe is a zucchini meatball, that is easy to prepare and you can make them in bulk and freeze! These are a great substitute for meatballs. Zucchini has a ton of benefits, but an important one is that it lowers blood sugar! Try these with your next spaghetti night!
What you’ll need:
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/4 lbs unpeeled zucchini, grated
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 ounce 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
2 cups quick marinara sauce or jarred
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to get rid of any excess water, then to a large bowl along with the bread crumbs, beaten egg, Romano cheese and chopped basil.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top and bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.