Meatless Monday Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells
At almost 1 gram of protein per tablespoon, cashew cream is an amazing substitute for meatless monday’s. Not to mention it is also cholesterol free and a good source of copper, fiber and healthy monounsaturated fats. Try this recipe out today!
What you’ll need:
- 1 ½ cups cubed butternut squash
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 16 jumbo shells
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 1 cup fresh water
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup crumbled firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cashew cream
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the butternut squash with a drizzle of olive oil and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Make the cashew cream: Blend together the drained raw cashews, fresh water, garlic, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Make the filling: In a medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the spinach in increments, along with a pinch of salt, and sauté until all the spinach is incorporated and wilted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Squeeze out any excess liquid and chop. In a medium bowl, combine the the spinach with the crumbled tofu, oregano, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, at least ¼ teaspoon salt, freshly ground black pepper and 1 cup of cashew cream. Season to taste, adding more salt and pepper as desired.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shells and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain.
- Assemble the shells. Spread ¼ cup of the reserved cashew cream on the bottom of an 11×7-inch baking dish. Fill each shell with some of the filling and a few cubes of butternut squash, and place into the baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil over the shells and bake, covered, for 15 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from the oven and serve with the remaining cashew cream.