- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 medium)
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 8-inch flour or corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Colby Cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Cook the sweet potato: The easiest way is to use a microwave. Using a fork, poke holes all around sweet potato and microwave for 8-10 minutes until tender. Turn potato over halfway through cooking time. Once cooked, pop sweet potato into the fridge for a little while to cool it down before making your quesadillas.
- Cook the spinach: Roughly chop spinach. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach, garlic powder, cumin, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until spinach is wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes, then remove it to a bowl.
- It’s quesadilla time! Remove the sweet potato flesh from the skin and mash in a bowl to desired consistency (we like ours a little chunky!). Spread 1/4 of mashed sweet potato on one tortilla. Add as many black beans as you want on top of the sweet potato, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place desired amount of spinach on top – be sure to let extra liquid drain before adding to quesadilla to prevent sogginess. Sprinkle a handful of cheese on top of the spinach and top with a second tortilla.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add quesadilla – cheese side down – and cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Cut into 6 pieces and serve with your favorite toppings – pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce.
Recipe adapted from a couple cooks